THURSDAY # 11
Super Surprise Thursday has turned into Creepy Crawly Thursday and we have a spider for you! This is our first! So are you ready to meet this creepy crawly creature?
MEET THE RED KNEED TARANTULA!
Diet: Carnivore: insects, frogs, mice
Length/Weight: 4 ½”/15 grams
Conservation Status: Near threatened
- Red Kneed Tarantulas are nocturnal (active at night).
- Like other spiders they have 8 legs and an exoskeleton.
- Red kneed tarantulas have hair all over their bodies. They rub their back legs together if threaten. The hairs can cause a rash or even blindness if release in the eyes.
- Red kneed tarantulas are venomous. They bite their prey with fangs and then inject the venom.
- They burrow in the ground.
- They don’t have a backbone like you instead they have a hard exoskeleton on the outside of their bodies. Because they have an exoskeleton they must molt 2-3 times a year as they grow.
- Red kneed tarantulas can live up 20-30 years old.
Ellie is afraid of spiders, but learning about them helps her not to be afraid! Red kneed tarantulas are not harmful to humans or elephants J! We definitely think they’re kind of pretty with their bright colors!