MONSTROUS MAMMAL MONDAY!
We’re celebrating weird, creepy and feared animals this week as Halloween approaches! These animals haunt your dreams and make you have goose bumps! Ok, these animals are not that bad, but they often have bad reputations! First up we’re off to meet a flying mammal that comes out at night! Grab your night vision goggles and let’s do this!
MEET THE MAURITIAN TOMB BAT!
Diet: Insectivore: insects
Length/Weight: 2 ¾-3 ½”/ 1 1/16 oz
Conservation Status: common
- Mauritian Tomb Bats make a variety of vocalizations (not all audible are to humans).
- They use echolocation to find prey.
- Mauritian Tomb Bats roosts in trees and buildings.
- They roost in small groups instead of large colonies.
- Mauritian Tomb Bats have good eyesight.
- They are nocturnal (active at night).
Mauritian Tomb Bats are really cool. Well, all bats are really cool if you ask us. Most bats eat insects, some eat fruit and yes there are a few who drink blood! Wow! What’s your favorite thing about bats?