We headed to the coast line to meet one of the most iconic birds of Norway’s coastline- the Atlantic Puffin! These adorable birds are so much fun to watch. We wish one would come live with us the University.
Atlantic Puffin Fun Facts:
- These little handsome birds grow up to 10 inches long and can weigh up to 17 oz.
- They are nicknamed the “sea parrot”.
- These carnivores eat fish.
- Their brightly colored beaks are duller in color during the winter. They bright colors are brightest during breeding season.
- These sea birds spend most of their life at sea. They can swim under water using a flying motion. They can even dive up to 200 feet deep.
- In the air, they can fly up to 55 mph.
- Both parents incubate the egg and then feed the chick.
- They are listed as Vulnerable by the IUCN.
These amazing birds form large breeding colonies. They breed in the same place every year. Scientists are not sure how the birds navigate back to the same place yet.