When You Put a Fish in a Box
Hehehehe! We’re just kidding- we’re not putting fish in boxes today, but we are going snorkeling and meeting the boxfish! You campers may remember meeting Barry the Boxfish on World’s Oceans Day. Today we’re going to learn more about them.
Boxfish Fun Facts:
- Boxfish can grow up to 18 inches.
- These little omnivores eat algae, worms and crustaceans.
- Boxfish are bright yellow as juvinelles. They get darker as they get older.
- That bright coloration is called warning coloration. It serves as a warning to predators that it is toxic.
- Boxfish excreate poison when threatened.
- They are solitary.
We love these cube shaped fish. A car company even thought their funny shape would make for a good car design. We wonder if they added the fins?