WE SEE GULLS!
We love gulls! These noisy, gregarious and intelligent birds get a bad rap and we’re here to change that perception! Get ready to learn some fun facts and enjoy a great gull coloring sheet!
Gull Fun Facts:
- Gulls can be found on all the continents.
- Gulls can drink sea water. They have a gland that allows them get rid of the excess salt.
- The lava gull is lives in the Galapagos islands and is all black to camouflage in with the volcanic shore lines.
- Gulls stamp their feet on the sand to mimic the sound of rain. This causes worms to come to the surface and provides the gulls a tasty meal.
- Gulls are known to use tools, including rocks to open mollusks and using bits of bread to “fish” for fish.
- Gulls range in size from 29 cm to 75 cm.
- A group of gulls is called a colony.
- Gulls have complex systems of communication.
- Gulls are carnivores, but will scavenge any food they find. DO NOT FEED THESE BIRDS! Human food can lead to aggressive gulls that can be a nusiance!
- Gulls mate for life.
- Most gulls do not get their adult plumage until the age of 3 or 4 years old.
“Gulls stamp their feet on the sand to mimic the sound of rain. This causes worms to come to the surface and provides the gulls a tasty meal.” That is amazing!
I LOVE that photo of you, Edmond!! *giggles*