We hanging out on the dock today, ready to meet some otters! Come join us campers as we say to some super cute residents of Lake Salamander!
North American River Otter Fun Facts:
- These members of the weasel family can grow up to 31 inches long and weigh up to 30 lbs.
- Otters love burrows. They live in burrows near the body of water they call home. Often the burrow allows them to directly enter the water too.
- Otters are predators and carnivores. They eat fish, amphibians and shellfish.
- They are known for their playful behavior. They love to slide and interact with each other.
- Even though they play with each other, otters prefer to live in their burrow alone or with offspring while they are young.
- They have long powerful tails that make up about 40% of their body length. Those tails help propel them through the water.
- Otters are known to be very vocal.
- They are listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.
We love the otters that call this area home! They often visit us while we are out canoeing on the lake. They are quiet chatty and so much fun!