YEAR OF THE DRAGON THURSDAY!
We’re on day four of Year of the Dragon theme week and we have a biiiig lizard for you today! We bet you’ve guessed who it is by now! Well, have you? We’re heading to a special place called Komodo Island! Have you guessed it yet?
MEET THE KOMODO DRAGON!
Diet: Carnivore: carrion, pigs
Length/Weight: 6 ½-9 ¾ ft/ 155-300lbs
Conservation Status: endangered
- Komodo Dragons are the heaviest lizards in the world.
- Komodo dragons have forked tongues like snakes! They use them to “taste” particles in the air.
- They have an excellent sense of smell. They can smell carrion up to 3 miles away.
- Komodo dragons are ambush predators.
- Komodo dragons’ salvia is full of toxic bacteria. Their bite often does not cause death, but the bacteria causes an infection that kills them.
- These large lizards are fast and can run up to 11 miles per hour!
- Komodo dragons can eat up to 80 lbs in a single feeding!
- They can live up to 40 years.
Komodo dragons are awesome! These large reptiles have some amazing adaptations! We were surprised to learn that they could eat up to 80lbs! WOW and Ellie thought elephants could eat loads of food! These lizards definitely earned the name dragon!