AMERICAN ANIMALS WEEK DAY # 4
We hope everyone had a lovely holiday yesterday and for those of you in other countries, we hope you had a nice WednesdayJ! We’re taking the RV to the California coast to meet a vocal and social mammal today! Grab your wetsuits because the water is cold!
MEET THE CALIFORNIA SEA LION!
Diet: Carnivore: fish, squid
Length/Weight: up to 7 ¾ ft/ 610-860 lbs
Conservation Status: common
- California Sea lions are large and have a thick layer of blubber.
- They live in large groups with a dominate male and numerous females.
- California sea lions are very social and very vocal.
- They are faster than any other member of the seal or sea lion family and can swim up to 25 mph.
- California sea lions can rotate their rear flippers.
- California sea lions can stay under water for up to 10 minutes.
- Male California sea lions are larger and dark brown, whereas the females and juveniles are tan.
- They can live up to 30 years.
We just love California Sea lions! They are so full of personality and smarts! We even met a one who knew to stick out his tongue! Do you love sea lions too? Here’s a great video of some divers swimming with them!