FEATHERY FRIDAY# 41
We’re off to the rainforest of Central and South America today to meet the little parakeet that could. These brightly colored birds are so adorable. Are you ready to meet them?
MEET THE MONK PARAKEET!
Diet: Herbivore: seeds, fruits, berries
Length/Weight: 11 ½”/ 4 oz
Conservation Status: common
- Monk parakeets are also known as the Quaker parrot.
- They have long green tails and gray/white faces.
- Monk parakeets are highly intelligent and social.
- They build colonies of nests.
- Monk parakeets build their nests next to or on top of each other, creating one large structure.
- They have been introduced in many other places, where they are expanding their numbers.
Monk parakeets are adorable! They now live in the US as far as the Northeast. While they are cute, they can out-compete native birds for space and food. It’s very important for bird owners to know it is never a good idea to release their pets into the wild, because they can take over. Monk parakeets are now banned in many states because of this problem.