Say Hello to Our Stinky Friend
The Salamander Woods are home to another night time creature- the spotted skunk! You heard it here folks, not all skunks are striped- some are spotty! We’re going to learn more about them this evening as we roast marshmallows at the campfire!
Spotted Skunk Fun Facts:
- These skunks are not very big, only about 21 inches long with tail. They only weigh around 1 1/2 pounds!
- They are part of the mustelid family, which include weasels, otters and badgers.
- Spotted skunks are considered to be the most active of all the skunks.
- They live underground or in trees.
- These little stinkers stomp their feet before spraying a predator. They then do a handstand to get the best shot at shooting their prey with extra stinky spray.
- They are omnivores.
We sure are glad the family of skunks here at camp are friendly. We would hate it if one of our campers was sprayed. Luckily we have a solitary tent for those who make get it! Hahahaha!