That is One Big Snake
We are meeting another amazing animal of the Pantanal today! This reptile is largest snake by weight in the world. That’s why we are glad we saw it from a boat!
Green anaconda fun facts:
- Green anacondas are giants! They can get up to 29 ft long and weigh over 500 lbs. Just to give you an idea of how long that is- a school bus is 45 ft- so they would take up 2/3 of it.
- Females are larger than males!
- The constrictors are carnivores. They eat small mammals, caiman and some reptiles.
- Like other snakes, they have stretchy ligaments in their jaw that allow them to open wide and swallow large prey whole.
- These reptiles can go weeks after eating a big meal.
- They are mostly nocturnal!
- Female anacondas give birth to live young, that hatch in her body! They are independent of their mothers immediately after being born.
These giants are amazing! We know people fear snakes, but we think they are awesome! These predators have been around for 100 million years, so maybe it’s time to take a new look at our legless friends and start appreciating how truly great they are!
*shivers* That snake is tooooo big. Oh my