After exploring for bats, we decided to sleep in again and go birding. Today we wanted to find the State bird of Hawaii. Off to meet a goose.
Hawaiian Goose Fun Facts:
- The Hawaiian goose is also called the Nene- named after their soft call.
- They grow up to 16 inches tall and weigh up to 6 3/4 lbs.
- They are herbivores. They eat seeds, grasses , fruit and flowers.
- Nenes evolved from the Canada Goose.
- Males are slightly larger than females.
- There were only 32 birds in 1952. With great conservation efforts, their populations have been raised to 1000 birds.
- They are listed as Vulnerable by the IUCN.
We had a fun time on Maui meeting these rare species. It is with great care that they have been a success story. We hope their population continues to grow.