WATERY WEDNESDAY# 36
We are off to Africa today to meet a small but extraordinary fish! These little fish have been on the planet for a very long time! Let’s gear up and head out to meet these little animals!
MEET THE ORNATE BICHIR!
Diet: Carnivore: fish, crustaceans
Length/Weight: up to 16”/ up to 18 oz
Conservation Status: Common
- Ornate bichirs are considered to be the most beautiful member of the bichir fish family.
- They are beige with black markings.
- Ornate bichirs are small and oblong.
- They have armor like scales.
- Ornate bichirs stalk and ambush their prey.
- They can stay out of water and breathe regular air for short periods of time.
What? There’s a fish that can breathe air? That is some crazy stuff! We can tell you that this small elephant and horse cannot breathe under water, although Ellie can stick her trunk out of the water :)!