PENGUIN WEEK DAY #5
It’s the last day of Penguin Week and we sure have had a blast meeting some of these flightless feathery friends and hope you’ve had fun too. Our last day of adventure takes us back to Antarctica to meet yet another cute penguin species!
MEET THE ADELIE PENGUIN!
Diet: Carnivore: krill, small fishes
Length/Weight: 18-24”/ 8 ¾-12 lb
Conservation Status: common
- Adelie penguins nest on the mainland of Antarctica.
- They have blue-black feathers with pure white fronts.
- Adelie penguins have white rings around the eyes.
- Adelie penguins breed in colonies of up to 200,000 birds.
- They build nest with rocks.
- Adelie penguins have been seen stealing rocks from other penguins to make their nests.
Adelie penguins are so proper looking with their white bellies and sharp looking blue-black feathers. All they need now is a bowtie!