HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!!
HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY! Every year on February 2nd legend has it that if a groundhog comes out of his burrow and sees his shadow then there will be six more weeks of winter. If he doesn’t see his shadow then spring will come early! Neat! We’re celebrating these weather predicting rodents with fun facts, photos and an original coloring sheet drawn by Ellie herself!
- Groundhogs are also known as the Woodchuck.
- Groundhogs live in North America in woodland and grassland habitats.
- They are herbivore and eat seeds, fruits, grasses and the occasional insect.
- Groundhogs are rodents and are the largest member of the ground squirrel or marmot family.
- They are excellent at climbing and swimming.
- Groundhogs burrow in the ground.
- They gorge all summer on food to fatten up!
- Groundhogs hibernate in the winter.
- They are known to whistle when threatened.
We love groundhogs and not just for their ability to predict the weather! These cool rodents get to hibernate all winter! Who wouldn’t love a long winter’s nap? Groundhogs are also pretty cute if you ask us!
Click here for more history on Groundhog Day.