GIVE THANKS TO THE ANIMALS WEEK- DAY 3
It’s Day 3 of our Give Thanks to the Animals Week and we’re celebrating a really cool fish! If you have traveled to the Caribbean then you have this fish to thank for the white sand beaches there!
- Parrotfish live in the Caribbean ocean, around coral reefs.
- They crush coral with their teeth.
- Parrotfish eat algae in coral.
- They crush the coral to get the algae out.
- The waste that the parrotfish produce makes up a great deal of the sand in the Caribbean.
- You can hear these amazing fish when snorkeling or diving. They making a clicking sound while eating!
- Parrotfish vary in color.
- Some species of parrotfish coat themselves in a mucus every night.
- Scientists think this mucus coating helps mask the parrotfish’s smell.
WOW!! Who knew that the sand on those beautiful beaches in the Caribbean was actually fish poop!? We have been on several trips to the area and we met some parrotfish! It is so fun to hear their clicking in the water. Thanks for the sand parrotfish!!