MANATEE APPRECIATION DAY!!
It’s Manatee Appreciation Day! We love these gentle marine mammals! We have visited them in places in Florida before. We’re going to share some fun facts about the fabulous animals and a great craft you can make too!
- Manatees are also called sea cows.
- They live in coastal waters and rivers.
- They have strong flat tails.
- Their nostrils sit on top to help them breathe air.
- Manatees are herbivores. They eat algae and grasses.
- They can eat 1/10th of their weight in a day.
- Manatees are slow moving.
- They can weigh up to 1,300 lbs.
- Manatees are endangered.
Manatees are endangered due to things like boat strikes and pollution (they get caught in fishing nets). Many people are working to protect these beautiful gentle giants. A great way to help them- Never put trash in the ocean or rivers! Human’s pollution is devastating on our wild animal friends. Also check out Save the Manatee Club– they work very hard to protect manatees!
You can also make our great manatee bookmark and share your love of these animals with your friends! The more we understand and love a species the more we will work to save them!
Those manatees are SO CUTE. I also eat grass, but not algae…
Love and licks,