Bears and Seals!
Yesterday’s Guess the Animal was the Black Bear. One of the clues was that this animal is related to seals. We had lots of people guess otter, because of this clue! That was a great guess, but otters are related to weasels and wolverines.
Bears on the other hand are related to seals and sea lions, otherwise known as pinnipeds. Last year we had a series of cartoons call We Are Fanimaly, where we talked about animal relatives. We’re going to show you the Bears and Pinnipeds cartoon again! We’d like to start the We Are Fanimaly posts again very soon!
FUN BEAR FACTS:
- Bears have shaggy coats and short tails.
- Bears are mammals.
- There are 8 species of bears.
- Many species hibernate during the winter.
- All bears are omnivores.
- Bears can live up to 30 years.
- Bears can run up to 40 mph.
- Polar bears are marine mammals.
- The most common bear is the brown bear.
FUN PINNIPED FACTS:
- The pinniped family includes seals and sea lions.
- Pinnipeds are mammals.
- There are 32 species of seals.
- Seals and sea lions have fur and a layer of blubber.
- Seals and sea lions are carnivores.
- Pinnipeds use their whiskers to find prey.
- Seals and seal lions are marine mammals.