FEATURED ANIMAL- COMMON RAVEN!
We’re excited to introduce this week’s Feature Animal! This black bird had a very famous poem written about it. They are associated with Halloween along with their cousin the crow! Do you know who this bird is evermore?
Africa/woodlands, open fields and urban areas
Diet: Omnivores: small mammals, insects, fruit
Length/Weight: 26”/ 2 ½ lbs
Conservation Status: Common
- Common Ravens are the largest member of the crow family in North Hemisphere.
- They are highly intelligent and very social.
- Common ravens have very large brains and are known to be great at problem solving.
- Common ravens mate for life. They can live up to 15 years old in the wild and have been known to live longer in captivity.
- They have large bills to eat many different types of prey.
- Common ravens are admired in many cultures. They are even kept by royalty at The Tower of London!
These beautiful birds are really smart and have adapted well to live near and around people! It’s easy to see why people love them so much with their haunting calls and shiny black feathers.