We’re going batty today! We thought it would be fun to talk bats- what makes a bat a bat? Do you have any guesses?
Let’s find out!
- Bats are the only true flying mammal on earth!
- There are over 1,000 different species on earth.
- Bats have specialized wings that help them fly- bat wings have five appendages- including a thumb on top to help them climbs.
- Bat wings are covered in a thin membrane called the patagium.
- Scientists believe that bats evolved around 100 million years ago.
- Bats are nocturnal.
- There are around 1,000 different species of bats.
- Some bats eat insects, some eat fruit and a few species- drink blood.
- Fruit bats are also called flying foxes. They are important as they disperse seeds in their tropical habitats.
- Bats use echolocation to detect prey, especially flying insects.
- Most bats are very social and live in large groups.
- Bat do sleep upside down!
- Bats come in small and large sizes.
We sure do love bats! Now you know a few things that make a bat a bat! They are often feared, but without them we would be in big trouble! We need bats to disperse seeds and to help keep insect populations in check- one brown bat can eat 1,200 mosquitoes an hour! Keep up the good work our flying mammal friends! What do you love about bats?
We love bats too. Mom is on board with anything that eats insects. She’s afraid of bugs. Sometimes I sleep upside down on the couch. I think I’m part bat. Mom says nobody wants to see all my bits and pieces….
Love and licks,