We know we are aware of how stinking cute otters are! These comical creatures have faced being endangered over the years, but with the help of conservationists their numbers are increasing. Come learn some fun facts about these ottertastic mammals!
Sea Otter Fun Facts:
- Sea Otters are members of the weasel family!
- Sea Otters live in the Pacific ocean along the North American shore and the Northern Asian shore.
- Sea Otters spend most of their time in water. They will occasionally come ashore to rest.
- Sea Otters’ fur is water repellant and very thick. They can have up to 1 million furs per square inch.
- Sea Otters role in order to trap air bubbles in their fur. The air bubbles help keep them warm.
- Sea Otters are often found floating on the surface of kelp forests. They will even wrap the kelp around themselves to keep anchored while sleeping
- Sea Otters groom themselves constantly. This helps keep their fur clean and waterproof.
- Sea Otters use rocks to break some of their prey, including crabs and sea urchins.
- Sea Otters help keep the balance in a kelp forest. One of their favorite prey, sea urchins eat kelp; and without the otters to keep the urchin population in check, the kelp would be gone!
There are so many reasons to love sea otters and to protect them! There are many organizations that are working hard to make sure otters have a future in our oceans! Monterey Bay Aquarium has a great sea otter program.
What do you love about otters?