BUILD A NEST AND THEY WILL COME!
Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and we wanted to talk birds! We met some birds who do some fancy building when they are looking for a mate! First up- the Bowerbird!
- Male Bowerbirds build large courtship sites.
- They build a tunnel like avenue and courtyard called a bower!
- Bowerbirds live in Australia.
- A female will inspect the bower and decide if the male is worth mating with.
- Watch this video by David Attenborough about these birds!
- Scientists also think Bowerbirds make an optical illusion with their bowers! These birds are soooo cool!
Meet the Hammerkop
- Hammerkops live in Africa and Madagascar.
- A pair of hammerkops build a nest together.
- The nests can be up to 5ft across, can have many chambers and weigh up to 55 lbs.
- They are wading birds.
- They build the largest nest of any bird in Africa.
- Abandon nests are used by many other species.
These two species of birds are quiet amazing! That is loads of work to attract a mate and have chicks! We are tired just thinking about all that nest building! Anyone out there planning on building a nest for their Valentine this year?