If you’re on social media, you may have noticed the celebration called cephalopod week! We wanted to join in and share the common octopus with you!
Diet: Carnivore: crabs, crustaceans, mollusks
Length: Head 9” arms up 3 ft
Conservation Status: Common
- Common octopi are cephalopods.
- They have no skeleton and four pairs of arms.
- Common octopi are considered very intelligent.
- Common octopus moms lay up to 50,000 eggs in a dark cave.
- They stay with the eggs while they develop, generally around 2-6 months.
- Common octopus moms take care of the eggs, by cleaning, holding and blowing oxygen over them.
- They will not hunt or eat while they are taking care of the eggs.
- Common octopus moms pass away soon after the babies hatch.
- Octopus will release ink when threatened.
- They collect shells of crustaceans and other objects to build a fortress or garden.
We just love octopus! They are so intelligent and amazing creatures! There is so much more to learn about them! We’ll revisit them again soon!
Answer: False- octopus can lose a limb and regrow it!