Since we’ve been talking about symbiosis and mutualism this week we’d thought we’d introduce you to a great pair of animals! The shark and the remora!
- Remora’s dorsal fin that sucks on to the shark they are following.
- They live in tropical ocean waters.
- There are 8 species of remoras.
- Some remoras like to attach to specific species.
- They must attach to their host to get enough oxygen to pass over their gills.
- The remoras eat parasites and dead skin off their host and pick up any scraps the host may leave behind.
- The shark is cleaned of parasites.
- Some remoras live in the gills of fish.