WORLD LION DAY!
Happy World Lion Day! We love these big cats and we’re not lion :)! Hahaha!
We’re celebrating these gorgeous social cats with a coloring sheet and some fun facts!
LION FUN FACTS:
- Lions are the only big cat that live in social groups. Those groups are called prides.
- A pride usually consists of one dominate male (and maybe some siblings of that male) and a group females and their offspring.
- Lions live in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Female lions are the primary hunters in a pride. They are smaller and faster than their male counterparts. Lions also hunt in groups usually.
- Males can weigh up to 550 lbs.
- Lions are carnivores.
- Lions are crepuscular- active at dawn and dusk.
- They can sleep up to 20 hours a day.
- Tigers are the closest relative to the lion.
- A male lion’s roar can be heard up to 5 miles away.
- Lions scratch and urinate on objects to mark their territory.
- Lions are listed as vulnerable by the IUCN. We can help the wild lions of Africa. Have a house cat? Load their picture here and donate to $5 to High 5 Give 5 for Big Cats at National Geographic. We had Big Moe the cat at Ellie and Edmond HQs give $5 every month!