National Bird Day!
Professor Baxter is super excited to talk about birds today! He’s going to give you some bird basics, some fun facts and share a great coloring sheet with you!
Now that you know some of the bird basics; here are some more fun bird facts!
- There are 9865 species of birds in the world! Wow! There sure are a bunch of us!
- There are around 30 families that these 9865 species are divided in to.
- The first bird live during the Jurassic period, 150 million years ago.
- It is widely believed that birds are related to a group of dinosaurs known as theropods.
- Feathers are made of keratin, the same protein that makes up human hair and nails.
- That same protein makes up our bill or beak! We birds have no teeth!
- Not all of us can fly, including my penguin and ostrich friends!
- Bird lungs take up about 1/5 of their body! We must use air efficiently in order to fly!
- Most bird knees are hidden under our feathers. You see our ankles!
- Birds live on every continent in the world! There is no escaping us!
Well I sure have enjoyed sharing some fun stuff about myself and the other birds in the world! Tomorrow we’ll be taking about bird feet! Some feet are made for swimming, some are made for perching and some (like mine) are made for dancing!
Enjoy this coloring sheet of me!
“Bird lungs take up about 1/5 of their body! We must use air efficiently in order to fly!”
That is very interesting!
“Most bird knees are hidden under our feathers. You see our ankles!”
I never knew this!
“Birds live on every continent in the world! There is no escaping us!”
So that is what Hitchcock was getting at 😉
Hehe- now that movie is scary. We always think of it when we see a murder of crows.