WORLD WHALE DAY!
We’re having a cetacean celebration today! Woohoo for World Whale Day! We’ll be sharing fun facts and a narwhal coloring sheet! Let’s get this party started!
- Whales are marine mammals! They live in every ocean on the planet!
- Being a mammal- whales should have hair, but they don’t! Well, they do have small hairs on their face when they are born and then the hair falls out!
- The largest animal on earth is a blue whale! Their heart is the size of a VW beetle!
- Sperm whales can dive up to 1 miles below the surface.
- Whales are divided in to two groups; toothed whales and baleen whales. Toothed whales have teeth to eat their prey. Baleen whales have long fibers in their mouth to eat plankton.
- Male narwhals have an elongated tooth that sticks out of their head! They are called the unicorns of the sea!
- Bowhead whales are thought to live up to 200 years.
- Male humpback whales sing! They sing long and complex songs that can be heard up to 20 miles away.
- Killer whales are not actually whales; they are the largest member of the dolphin family!
- Gray whales are known to migrate 10,000-12,000 miles a year! They head to cold water to eat and then down to warmer waters to breed and give birth to their calves.
Woohoo! We hope you enjoyed our whale facts! We love all 30 species of these giants of the ocean! We have a narwhal coloring sheet for you to enjoy! Share your final coloring sheet with us!