As part of our you choose week- we’re going to meet the Sun Bear!
- Sun bears are also called the dog bear or honey bear.
- Sun bears are found in Southeast Asia in rainforests.
- Sun bears are omnivores. They eat fruit, eggs, honey and termites.
- They can get up to 4 1/2 feet long and weigh up to 145 lbs.
- Sun bears are listed by the IUCN as endangered.
- They have sleek, smooth brown-black fur with a white-orangeish “sun” patch on their chest.
- They have very loose skin around their neck.
- Sun bears are the smallest member of the bear family.
- Sun bears have very long tongues that they can extend up to 10”. They use these tongues to get termites and honey.
- Sun bears are nocturnal (active at night).
- They spend most of their time in trees.
Sun bears are just so adorable. They are endangered mainly due to habitat loss. Helping protect their rainforest home by reducing, recycling and reusing! Yay for the 3 Rs!