Meeting the Caribou!
Location: Arctic circle
- Reindeer are also called caribou.
- They vary in color and size depending on where they live. Reindeer that live closest to the arctic are white in color.
- Both female and male reindeer have antlers. Males lose their antlers in the winter.
- Reindeer antlers are covered in a layer of fur called velvet.
- Their noses are specialized to warm cold air before it enters their lungs.
- Reindeer have a four chambered stomach!
- One of their favorite foods is called reindeer moss.
- Some reindeer populations migrate. They can migrate up to 3,000 miles in one year! Whew, they must be tired!
We have seen reindeer before, but our excitement never diminishes. These graceful members of the deer family with their velvet covered antlers are so amazing! Plus we are always on the lookout for one with a shiny red nose and we have yet to find one! Haha!