One Large Bat
We decided to explore some of the islands this week. We do love our oceans, but the islands have some really neat creatures to meet too! Today we are meeting one of the largest flying mammals in the world and we couldn’t be more excited!
Location: Raja Ampat Islands
Large Flying Fox Fun Facts:
- Large flying fox live in large colonies.
- They are able to hang upside down just as smaller bats do.
- Large flying foxes have long tongues to help them eat nectar and fruit.
- Large flying foxes are pollinators and seed disperses. Their poop contains seeds that they disperse and they get pollen on their fur when they eat nectar. They spread the pollen from plant to plant.
- They feed in the upside down position.
These large bats are so cool to see! We spotted a whole tree full just roosting and came back at night to watch them head out to find food! They fly silently, but they are a noisy bunch when they are eating! Edmond can be a loud eater too!