The Clowns of the Oceans!
While snorkeling we also encountered one of the reef’s most iconic residents- the clown anemonefish! These brightly colored fish became famous after a certain movie. Well we’re going to teach you some cool clown fish facts!
Location: Raja Ampat Islands
Clown Anemonefish Fun Facts:
- Clown anemonefish are one of many species of anemonefish.
- They have a three white and black stripes on their orange bodies.
- Clown anemonefish have a layer of mucus that protects them from their anemone and its stinging cells.
- The fish and the anemone share a symbiotic relationship (where both animals benefit). The anemone gets food and some protection from the fish and vice/versa.
- Clown anemonefish live in small groups with a dominate female.
- Clown anemonefish spawn during the fool moon.
- The males defend the eggs.
The relationship that clown anemonefish have with their anemones are so cool. There are many symbiotic relationships found in nature! Elephants have birds that bugs and parasites of them! Pretty neat right?