Sharky Shark Shark
We strapped on our snorkel equipment to go exploring! We spotted so many fish, but we were most excited to see the black tip reef shark! These sleek predators are common inhabitants of the reef!
Location: Raja Ampat Islands
Black Tip Reef Shark Fun Facts:
- Blacktip Reef Sharks are the most common shark in coral reefs of the Pacific Ocean.
- Blacktip reef sharks have streamlined bodies with black color on the tips of their fins.
- They are powerful are strong and quick swimmers.
- Blacktip reef sharks must swim to breath. The motion moves the water over their gills that extract oxygen from the water.
- They can be curious of divers.
Blacktip reef sharks are fast! They are very important in their coral reef habitats, because they’re apex predators (top of the food chain). Blacktip reef sharks look so sleek and smooth! Do you think they feel that way? Nope- they feel like sandpaper! Neat, huh?
It was awesome to see these with you at the Aquarium!!!