Another Ocean Giant
We met another giant of the ocean on our snorkeling trip- the Giant Manta Ray! These graceful creatures are so fun to watch “fly” through the water! They are truly magical.
Location: Raja Ampat Islands
Giant Manta Ray Fun Facts:
- Giant Manta Rays are the largest member of the ray family.
- They are filter feeders and use their front lobes to push food in their mouths. Recent discoveries have shown that they also eat larger deep sea fish!
- Scientists guess that they can live up to 50 years.
- Mantas get their name for the Spanish word that means blanket.
- Manta rays are covered in a protective mucus coating.
- Manta rays do not have the venomous barb.
- It is thought they have been around 5 million years.
Our time here in these amazing islands is done and we are bummed. There is so much more to see and do! We head back to the University and get ready for camp to start in June! We will definitely be back!