One Big Mollusk!
While snorkeling we came upon one big animal- the giant clam! And they are a sight to see! We had to share this amazing creature with you!
Location: Raja Ampat Islands
Giant Clam Fun Facts:
- Giant clams live their whole lives in one spot on the reef. It’s hard to move 500 lbs of body.
- They share their bodies with algae. They feed off the sugar and proteins the algae give off.
- Each clam has a unique color pattern.
- Giant clams have a siphon to pull in water in plankton.
- They can not close their shell completely.
- Giant clams can live up to 100 years!
We love these giant mollusks! Do you remember the largest land arthropod? We met them not to long ago! Mollusks are so amazing!
Are they like a filter for the water then?
500 lbs?? That’s incredible.
I guess these are the clams at the clambake next week 😉