Adventure Calls in the Southwest
Helloooooo! Did you guess our location? We are in the American Southwest! We are going around the area to meet some of its local inhabitants. We’ll be meeting birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians. We may even need to stop and talk to a cactus or two! Hehehe!
Today we are going to cover some fun facts about this amazing area and then tomorrow we will start to meet some animal friends!
Southwest Fun Facts:
- The American Southwest is compromised mainly of New Mexico and Arizona, encompassing parts of Texas, Nevada, California, Colorado and the Northern parts of Mexico.
- This area is considered to an arid to semi-arid habitat. They get little moisture.
- The mountains do get snow fall.
- There are three desert regions here- the Mojave, the Sonoran and the Chihuahuan desert.
- The Chihuahuan desert is considered to be the most biological diverse deserts in the world.
- The Sonoran desert has the most diverse plant life of any desert in the world.
- The Mojave desert gets less than 6 inches of rain a year. It is home to the Joshua tree, a tree that is thought to live up to a 1,000 years.
- The southwest has been to home to humans since around 900 BC, starting with the Clovis people. Many other Native Americans have called the region home for thousands of years.
- There are more than 400 bird species that call this area home! Wowzers.
- The area also is home to many snakes species.
We are excited to meet some of the inhabitants tomorrow! Who are you hoping to meet?