After meeting two marine loving animals, we wanted to find one that calls the air and ocean home. We were so excited to find the Snow Petrel.
Snow Petrels Fun Facts:
- Snow petrels can vary in size, but can grow up to 1 lb.
- They spend most of their lives alone, they come together in early November to breed in large colonies.
- They are carnivores. They eat krill, fish and carrion.
- They are highly territorial during breeding season.
- Snow petrels spit an waxy stomach oil at predators to keep them away.
- They have small dark beaks and eyes.
- Snow petrels prefer packed ice and icebergs when they land. They nest on rocky areas where they make their nests of small pebbles.
These gorgeous birds are so neat. When you think of Antarctica- you usually only think of penguins, but other birds call these cold islands home too.