Noddy bird not a Noodle bird
We are meeting our first animal here in Hawaii. We headed to the beach to meet this shore bird. Come join us on the sand!
Brown Noddy Fun Facts:
- These 18 inch birds are related to gulls and terns.
- They are the largest member of the noddies.
- They are carnivores. They nab fish from the ocean as they fly above it.
- Brown noddies nest together in large colonies.
- Males and females have a courtship ritual that includes bowing to each other and flying together.
- Both parents incubate the eggs and help raise the chicks.
- They are listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.
It was fun to watch these birds around the beach. We had never heard of the noddy bird, but it makes sense that they are related to seagulls!
I haven’t heard of these birds either. I kind of like Noodle Bird for the name 😉
“Males and females have a courtship ritual that includes bowing to each other and flying together.”
That sounds lovely and I can see then how it leads to this…
“Both parents incubate the eggs and help raise the chicks.”