Not Really Made of Wood
We are meeting a creature that you often find sunning themselves on branches along the shore of Lake Salamander. These reptiles are called Wood Turtles- but guess what, they aren’t made of wood- hehehe.
Wood Turtle Fun Facts:
- These little turtles grow up to about 8 inches long.
- There scutes are slightly domed shaped.
- These omnivores eat fruit, leaves, insects and worms.
- Wood turtles thump on the ground with their feet to make earth worms come out of the ground. They then snatch up the worms.
- They are listed as Endangered by the IUCN.
- It is thought that their lifespan is over 60 years old.
These neat little turtles are losing their habitats. That’s why intact and clean habitats like our lake here at camp are so important.