One Big Weasel
We are meeting a local here of the woods at Lake Salamander- the largest member of the weasel family- the wolverine. We are lucky to know one too, there aren’t many in these parts.
Wolverine Fun Facts:
- Wolverines are solitary. They live in a large territory. A male shares his territory with several females.
- These predators are known to eat some vegetation and berries in the summer, but they are carnivores.
- They can grow up to 42 inches long and weigh up to 55lbs. Males are larger than females.
- Wolverines have thick fur coats that are water and frost resitant.
- They are sometimes called the skunk bear because of the musky scent these use to mark their territory with.
- The wolverine’s main predator is the grey wolf.
- They are listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.
These animals are known for their tenacity. They have been known to steal carrion from larger animals than themselves.