Stars of the Sea
We have met sea stars before, but we wanted to learn more about these amazing echinoderms at camp today!
SEA STAR FUN FACTS:
- There are around 2,000 species of sea stars.
- Some species live up to 35 years.
- They have no brains or blood. They use water throughout their vascular system. The water also helps them move their tube feet.
- Sea stars do have simple eyes that see light and dark.
- Sea stars have little plates of calcium carbonate to help protect them
- These carnivores push their stomachs outside their mouths and digest their food before pulling the stomach back in the body.
- Each arm of the sea star has around 15,000 tube feet. These feet secret a glue like substance to help them attach to rocks.
- Some sea stars- like the sun star, can have up to 50 arms and weigh 11 lbs.
- Like their relatives the brittle stars, they can regenerate arms.
We love sea stars! They come in all sizes and colors- like pink, purple and blue! Do you have a favorite color sea star?