We are excited to meet some shore birds this week! There may be no better activity then to sit on the beach and watch the birds, especially the ones who run with the waves. Today we’re meeting a bird you’ll see in fresh, salt and brackish waters.
MEET THE GREAT BLUE HERON:
- Great blue herons call marshes, lakes, rivers and coast lines home.
- These majestic birds are always fun to spot with their long necks and long legs.
- They can stand 4 ft tall and have a 6 ft wing span.
- They actually only weigh around 6 lbs! It sure helps to have hollow bones.
- You can find herons hunting day or night. They have excellent night vision.
- These carnivores wade in the water and wait for fish to grab, amphibians and crustaceans. They are surprisingly fast.
- Their neck vertebrae are specially shaped to allow them to strike fast.
We love these amazing gorgeous birds. We never tire of seeing them whether on an hike or at the near by lake or here at Camp E&E by the Sea.