We’re meeting a fantastic little crustacean today! They are almost as much fun to watch on the beach as the birds. Come learn about the little crabs who say BOO! Hehehe!
GHOST CRAB FUN FACTS:
- Ghost crabs are found in burrows they dig in the sand.
- Their burrows entrances are dug at angle to allow air to flow in. They can be as deep as 4 ft.
- These omnivores eat insects, clams and other small crabs.
- They have 360 degree vision- so they can spot predators.
- They are mostly nocturnal, but they can be spotted during the day- cleaning out their burrows.
- Ghost crabs are solitary and do not share their burrows.
- They do need to keep their gills moist and can be found at the water’s edge sometimes just buried in the sand.
When a little ghost crab comes up behind you and says BOO! Don’t be afraid- they are just playing!