You Won’t Egret It
We’re meeting a wonderful shore bird today. These bright white beauties are hard to miss and one of our favorites.
GREAT EGRET FUN FACTS:
- These wading birds are found on coasts, lakes and rivers. Like their cousins the heron, they can be found in fresh, brackish and salt water.
- Great egrets are carnivores. They use their big pointy beaks to grab fish, crustaceans and amphibians.
- During mating season, egrets grow extra plums on their backs to attract mates.
- These majestic birds have a wingspan of up to 57 inches. They are large, but slow fliers.
- Almost hunted to extinction for their feathers, the birds have made a strong comeback due to protection efforts.
- They are also the symbol of the National Audubon Society.
We love these birds as much as we love the Great Blue Heron. Luckily they are easy to spot with their bright white feathers.