REPTILIAN TUESDAY # 23
Happy Reptilian Tuesday! We’re excited for you to meet today’s reptile! This special tortoise has a spectacular shell! We have to head all the way to India to find this beauty! Do you have your board pass? Time to go!
MEET THE INDIAN STAR TORTOISE!
Diet: Herbivore: grasses, fruit, flowers
Length: up to 11”
Conservation Status: common- near threatened
- Indian Star Tortoises have raised bumps on their carapaces (top shell).
- Each scute* is mountain shaped.
- Each scute has star shaped markings.
- Indian Star Tortoises’ shells are actually yellow with brown/black covering the yellow.
- They have a life span from 30-80 years old.
Wow! Aren’t Indian Star Tortoises beautiful? We love their bumpy shells with their star patterns! These tortoises are super stars!
*Here’s a good illustration of a turtle’s shell anatomy!