FEATHERY FRIDAY #44
We’re off to the UK to meet the ancestor of all domestic geese! These gorgeous birds are large and in charge! So let’s out together to meet this fine feathery friend!
MEET THE GRAYLAG GOOSE!
Diet: Herbivore: grains, vegetation
Length/Weight: 30-35”/ 6 ½-8 ¾ lbs
Conservation Status: common
- Graylag geese are the wild ancestor of domestic geese.
- They get their name because they migrate late in the year or lag behind other birds.
- Graylag geese are large birds; in fact they are the largest goose species in Europe.
- They live in large flocks and are very social.
- Graylag geese are very vocal. Check out their calls!
- Graylag geese mate for life.
- Male and females raise the chicks.
We just love geese and these Graylag geese are gorgeous with their gray and brown feathers. It is cool to meet the wild cousins of our domestic friends too! Can you make a goose sound? Honk! Honk!