WATERY WENESDAY # 49
We’re going to the Northwest U.S. today to meet a freshwater and ocean going fish! That’s right folks; there are fish who spend part of their lives in both habitats! You ready?
MEET THE RAINBOW TROUT!
Diet: Carnivore: insects, fish, snails
Length/Weight: up to 4 ft/ up to 53 lbs
Conservation Status: common
- Rainbow trout are members of the salmon family.
- Some rainbow trout are called steelheads.
- Steelhead rainbow trout live their adult lives in the ocean, but spawn in freshwater habitats.
- Some rainbow trout spend their whole lives in freshwater habitats.
- Rainbow trout are blue green with yellow and a pink streak down their side.
Rainbow trout are really colorful fish! They have been introduced around the U.S. and now are a popular sporting fish.