FEATHERY FRIDAY GREATEST HITS!
It’s another fabulous Feathery Friday and we have a resident of the Amazon rainforest for today’s animal. Are you ready this little bird with two different names? Well, let’s do this…
MEET THE RED FANNED PARROT!
Diet: Herbivore: fruit, seeds, flowers, nuts
Length/Weight: 14”/ 8 oz
Conservation Status: Common
- Red Fanned Parrots are also known as the Hawk-headed parrot.
- They have red feathers on the back of their necks. They raise the feathers up when threatened or alarmed. It gives them an appearance of being larger than they are.
- They have long tail feathers also that resemble some birds of prey.
- Red fanned parrots are found in pairs or small groups.
- They often nest in tree hollows.
Red Fanned Parrots are really neat little birds! We think they look like lions with their feathers up! We wonder if they know how to roar? We doubt it :)!