FEATHERY FRIDAY #62
We’re off to the coasts of Africa to meet a little bird with loooooong legs! These little feathery friends live all around the world, so there’s a chance they may live near you too! Are you ready to meet today’s bird pal?
MEET THE BLACK-WINGED STILT!
Diet: Carnivore: insects, mollusks, crustaceans
Length/Weight: 14-16”/ 5-7 oz
Conservation Status: common
- Black Winged Stilts have very long legs. They are the longest legs of any bird in relation to their body size.
- Black winged stilts have long thin bills.
- Their long legs and bills help them wade for prey in very deep waters.
- Black winged stilts are often found in large flocks.
- Male and female black winged stilts build the nest and incubate the eggs.
Well we know where these little birds get their names from; it sure looks like they walk on stilts! Edmond wants to try out walking on stilts. I smell disaster :)!