ENDANGERED SPECIES WEEK
DAY # 5
Today’s adventure takes us to South America to meet one gorgeous parrot. These beauties are endangered and we can’t imagine living in a world where these feathery friends aren’t around! Grab your gear, your binoculars and let’s go meet these big blue birds!
MEET THE HYACINTH MACAW!
Diet: Herbivore: nuts, fruits
Length/Weight: 3 ¼ ft/ 3 lbs
Conservation Status: endangered
- Hyacinth Macaws are the largest member of the parrot family that can fly.
- They have bright blue feathers.
- Hyacinth macaws are very social.
- Hyacinth macaws have long tails.
- They have large curved beaks to help them crack open nuts.
Hyacinth macaws are one of our favorites. They are endangered mainly due to the pet trade. If you decide a pet parrot is right for your home, make sure you get one from a reputable breeder. Remember that parrots are very social and live a very long time, so they are very high maintenance and require a lot of care.