REPTILIAN TUESDAY # 71
We’re going to sure the pond in our neighborhood for today’s adventure. Let’s grab some snacks for a picnic and head out to meet today’s reptile friend!
MEET THE RED EARED SLIDER!
Diet: Omnivore: fish, tadpoles, plants
Conservation Status: common
- Red eared sliders have red dashes around their ears.
- They bask in the sun during the day.
- Red eared sliders don’t have saliva and must eat their food under water.
- Red eared sliders have claws on their front feet.
- They brumate (become less active and hang out on the bottom of rivers/ponds during the fall and winter).
Red eared sliders are so cute. They are very popular pet to have too. Remember, if you do decide a pet turtle is for you; get them from a breeder and not from the wild. And as always do your homework, because all pets have specialized needs.